I spend hundreds of hours researching and testing so that I can provide you with the best money saving tips. I am supported by our readers and may earn a commission if you buy through our Affiliate Links at no cost to you. Thank you so much for your support. Read More
GnuCash can import Quicken OFX files that you can download from your bank or financial institution. The software does it’s best to import your transactions correctly, but sometimes they are wrong. Here’s an overview of your options and instructions how to update the import rules.
Interpreting GnuCash Import Options
There are 3 general import options that can be summarized as follows:
- A – Add a transaction
- GnuCash could not find a match – select this to add the transaction and apply to the account selected
- U + R – Update and Reconciles a transaction
- GnuCash found a match – select to update to the current account and reconcile
- R – Reconcile a transaction
- GnuCash already imported this before – select to reconcile the transaction
To import transactions, go to File – Import – Import OFX/QFX
Select the downloaded file. Be sure to have the correct account open at the time so it know where to import the file.
Interpreting GnuCash Colors Codes
- Green – If found a match and is ready to import with the account shown
- Amber – Ready to import, but no match found
- Red – Do not import
You need to review each transaction to see if the software is about to categorize the transaction correctly. Even if it’s green, that does not necessarily mean the import rule is correct.
How To Change An Import Rule
Double click on the text to the right of the import screen under the tab “Info”. At this point a Select Account window will pop up. Navigate to the correct account and then select it. Not only will the transaction be imported as you wish, but the rule will be updated so that the next time is sees a transaction like this, it will try to match it to this rule.
Each time you update the rules, the overall import process will improve. It save you a lot of time by applying the correct account correctly (similar to categories) and saves you the hassle of editing transactions later.