I spend hundreds of hours researching and testing so that I can provide you with the best money saving tips. I am supported by our readers and may earn a commission if you buy through our Affiliate Links at no cost to you. Thank you so much for your support. Read More
Spatchcoking is simply a method of cooking where you split the chicken and lay it out flat while cooking. The advantage is that it cooks very evenly and quickly.
Here’s how to do it step by step.
Split the chicken
Apply Seasonings to the Carcass
Fire up the Smoker
Set the Temperature
Position the Chicken on the Grill
Cook Until Done
Let the Chicken Rest
- One chicken
- Garlic Seasoning
- Onion Seasoning
- Mild wood pellets such as alder, cherry, and hickory
- Prepare chicken by cutting down the back bone.
- Season well with salt, pepper, garlic, and onions. You can also substitute with whatever you have on hand. The smoker adds a great deal of flavor so the goal is to complement the two together.
- Smoke at 350 degrees for a minimum of 45 minutes until done. Make certain that the juices run clear, especially at the thickest part of the chicken. The leg quarters should be checked with an instant thermometer.
- Remove from the smoker, cover with aluminum foil and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. This will redistribute the juices.